Foriegn Affairs

Exister, c'est oser se jeter dans le monde.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Writers as Readers

1.        When you read, what do you need to be comfortable (environment, snacks, lighting)?
·         You can usually find me wedged between the arm of our living room couch and some pillows with a munchy type of snack, such as pretzels or popcorn. In the summer, I love to catch the sun on my back when I’m reading. When it’s winter, you can find me in a blanket with a cat on my lap.
2.       Do you think books have the power to move people to action in something they have no interest in before they begin the first page?
·         I am one of the people that don’t like to read books based on popularity. For example, when The Fault in Our Stars came out, I waited to read the book until all the quotes and memes and jokes died out so that I could have my own personal experience with the book. I do have to say, by being introduced to TFIOS, it opened so many other books that I have enjoyed.
3.       What was the first book you remember reading? Why does this book stand out?
·         I first remember reading Pajama Time with my siblings. I remember feeling so proud that I was able to read a book that my parents read to us every night. This book really stands out to me because it was such a fun book that introduced new words and kept my attention. I also enjoyed how much fun I had reading it with my siblings, which helped out tremendously.
4.      What is one of your best memories connected with reading?
·         One of the best memories I have connected with reading was when I earned a gift card to Borders! In our first grade class, we had a challenge to read as many books that we could in one month. I remember that I came home dedicated to win that 15 dollar Borders card to buy some more books. That was when I was introduced to the Nancy Drew series, and to this day I still give credit to my mother for reading with me and pushing me to not give up when it got hard.
5.       What is your favorite book or series? Why is it your favorite?

·         My favorite book is The Help. I got this book because the movie had come out in the summer, and parents had gone to see it. I picked it up and started reading, and honestly, I couldn’t stop reading. Page after page I became so wrapped up in the lives and the struggles of the women in the book and I honestly felt like I knew each of them in their small town of Mississippi. I still would love to have a sequel to the book!

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you lucky to have been read to as a kid? I really think that has a huge influence. I also often resist the pull of the books that everyone seems to be talking about (or making memes about!) but eventually I want to be in on the conversation so I read things like Twilight and Hunger Games and The Fault in Our Stars. I loved The Help so much--I need to reread that one.

    ReplyDelete