Foriegn Affairs

Exister, c'est oser se jeter dans le monde.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of a Decade

I haven't written recently this year due to a crazy schedule. Honestly, this year has been full of growth and challenges that has tested me to my core. To keep track of all the craziness that has gone on this year, I'll make a list below.

1. I moved apartments with my sister and stayed in Utah throughout the summer. I took classes that were challenging, and made friends with people I didn't expect to. I found a summer fling (late in the summer and very, very short) and created relationships that I think will last a while. 

2. I made it into a business program. After applying for three different majors, I chose a completely different one that what I had been planning on for 2+ years. I honestly didn't think that I could do anything else, and it was a huge confidence booster knowing that I could get into hard programs. However, I didn't really think that I belonged, and I struggled with that throughout the semester wondering if I had made a mistake. 

3. I completed my first paid internship. Over the summer, I worked at a digital media agency and grew my skills in marketing. The internship taught me that I needed to have more confidence in my skills and abilities. I grew revenue for clients and was able to be a benefit to the team. I left the internship with things to work on and good connections for the future. 

4. My brother came home from his mission. After being gone for so long, I was excited to see him! I enjoy him being at school with me and my sister, and I really do like how I can talk to him whenever I want to.

5. We sold our house and moved to a different state. This part was really hard- leaving my childhood home was really sad, especially when we hadn't sold our house yet. Even today, it is really hard for me to understand why it took us so long to sell it. Although I miss all the good eats back home and the amazing friends I made, I am glad to be living in a new place with my family and experiencing a new culture. 

6. I started another internship in product development. This internship was awesome, but time consuming. I liked being able to channel what I was learning in my major to a new position, but overall it cut down on the time that I would have wanted to focus on my new and challenging classes. I met great people and learned a TON, one of those being that if you say that you are proficient in a language, you better be able to back it up! 

7. I passed classes that I didn't think at the beginning of the semester I could. Like I mentioned earlier, this semester was the first I had in my major. I had always heard that the junior core was going to be crazy, but after not choosing what my original plan of major was, I feel like it added to the stress. However, even though I had tough group assignments and group members, I was able to survive and end up with great grades. This semester alone has been the most challenging part of college so far, and I am so glad that I am done with some of the classes that I had to take this semester. 

Theses are only a few of the major events that happened to me this past year- and I know that there will be more for the next year and decade. I'm so grateful for all the people that have supported me throughout my journey, and I hope that they are all there with me for the future. If I could only use one word to describe this year, I would use grit. Grit is what got me through rejections (both personal and career/job/academic), hard subjects/lessons that I needed to learn, and what motivated me to keep happy (most of the time). Here's to 2019, and cheers to 2020 and beyond! 

No comments:

Post a Comment