Foriegn Affairs

Exister, c'est oser se jeter dans le monde.

Friday, November 9, 2018

A New Decade

As my birthday is coming up, I've been doing a lot of thinking about turning 20. I can't believe that my teenage years are almost behind me, and I am a little upset by that! Mostly I think it's because you don't have as many responsibilities, and you can kind of do crazy things with people not getting upset because you're a teenager. When you turn 20, there is almost this automatic push into adulthood, where the real world confronts you head-on and you're left to figure out jobs, careers, bills, and all the other things that your parents worry about but you never thought you would.
For one of my college classes, we had to read The Great Gatsby. I can't tell you how much I love this book! The way that Fitzgerald provides a social commentary is refreshing, and highlights the good and bad of the roaring 20s is fantastic. I also feel like it is applicable to the young stage of life that young adults are in- where hopefully we have no limits being placed on us, where we can truly be what we want to be and achieve what we set our minds to. With that, one of the main characters said something that really grabbed my attention because of my 20th birthday:

" I was 30--Before me stretched the portentous, menacing road of a new decade"

And even though I'm not turning 30, it made me think about what this new decade will hold for me. My past decade has been filled with change- if you think about it, from the time that you're 10-20 there is a lot of things that happen, like learning to drive a car, going on a first date, graduating grade school, starting college, etc. and life just gets crazy! I'm hoping that with this birthday, this decade won't be menacing, but rather another period of life that I can look back on with fondness and excitement for what I learned and did.
So, even though I still feel a little depressed with leaving the teen world, I have to admit that I am excited to see what this new decade will bring.



1 comment:

  1. Hi McKenna! I miss you and hope you had a happy birthday. I've been reading your blog posts and I'm so pleased you still use it as an outlet to capture all that's going on with you and what you are thinking. School is going well but life has been difficult for me in 2018. My mom got sick in March and passed away suddenly after two weeks in the ICU in Arkansas. She was only 64. Her death has left me feeling hollow and sad and mad and everything is different now. My dad moved to Springfield and I've spent a lot of time helping him get adjusted to his life without my mom. They got married when they were 18 and would have celebrated their 46th anniversary two weeks after we lost her. I know she wouldn't want me to be so sad, but I just miss her so much. Macauley has been my sunshine even though he misses her terribly, too. He turns 16 on Monday! We've been looking at cars and he's been talking about getting a job and opening a bank account. I am taking him (and several girls from Pay it Forward) to Switzerland, Italy and France this summer on a trip with EF Tours. I sure miss seeing you and Taylor at school and I think of you sweet girls often. Come see me if you're back in town for break! Email me if you'd like: hfraser@spsmail.org. Keep blogging! Love you! XO

    ReplyDelete